Three Quarters of Gamers ‘Don’t See Point’ of the Wii Mini
· New research from a money saving website in the UK suggests that the majority of gamers, 74%, ‘don’t see the point’ in the newly announced Wii Mini.
· Half of these, 49%, see it as ‘rehashing an old console’ rather than a technological advancement.
The survey, conducted by
The study initially asked respondents, ‘Are you excited about the Wii Mini announcement?’ to which a resounding 76% said ‘no’. The remaining 24% said ‘yes’ they were excited.
The survey then asked respondents who weren’t excited to select the reasons for their lack of enthusiasm for the new product, which resulted in the following top five. Respondents were allowed to select more than one answer:
1. Don’t see the point - 74%
2. No advance in graphics - 56%
3. Just rehashing an old console, not a technological advancement- 49%
4. Small size not a big enough selling point- 47%
5. Already own an original Wii - 42%
The study asked respondents ‘Would you be likely to purchase a Wii Mini once it’s released?’ and received the following results:
No - 61%
Yes - 22%
Don’t know - 17%
George Charles of
“It seems that despite the release of the Wii U and with the recent announcement of the PS4 and the anticipated Xbox 720, Nintendo still felt the need to get in there with another release. Unfortunately for them, gamers just aren’t bothered; according to our poll at least.”
“It’s an exciting time for gamers who’ve been waiting several years for the next big console release. But the Wii Mini doesn’t carry the same gravitas. With no anticipation of improved graphics and no real advance on the original console, is it the case of flogging a dead horse?”
Source: Games Press
I agree with the majority on this one. I mean I love Nintendo and their games but, I too fail to see anything appealing about the Wii Mini. Especially when we've been told that several things have been removed like being able to connect to the internet, playing Gamecube games, using Gamecube Controllers, etc. Wii Mini feels like an inferior version of the Wii(at least in my opinion) which already couldn't keep up with Sony & Microsoft in terms of graphics & online functionality. So if you really want to get a Wii at this point, why not just get the original? It's not THAT much bigger. Anyways, that's my thoughts. What do you think?